Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pop culture: Michael

Regardless of the phenomenal stories and the disturbing aspects of Michael Jackson, it is undeniable that he left us with an impressive catalog of songs.

Skip and I were watching some of the coverage, and we began comparing notes about music. In the early 1980's, the choices were Michael, Lionel or Prince. I was decidedly a Michael Jackson fan in the early 80's. I remember the first time I heard "Rock With You." I was in the backseat of my parents' car on the way home from one of my brother's basketball games. I don't remember what kind of car it was, but I remember the speaker in the back seat was at exactly ear level for my 8 year old ear. The opening of the song caught my attention, and I was hooked. By the time Thriller was released, I was a full-fledged fan. Being fickle, I completely dropped him by the mid-80's. (Also, I never forgave him for buying the Beatles' songs.)

At any rate, Skip shared an article that I found interesting. We both remember simply gawking at our television screens while watching this performance.

No comments: