Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Big trouble

Tonight was really routine. We had dinner (cashew chicken with rice), and then Skip went outside to mow the lawn while I cleaned the kitchen. The girls were watching an Abby Cadabby video in the other room. I could hear the Elmo and Abby dialogue over the sounds of my kitchen clean up. After a few minutes, I walked into the room and saw this:




The pics really do not do the scene justice. The computer pictured is not an old computer that we have given the girls but, rather, the computer that Skip received for Christmas this past year. I have no idea how they managed to get the computer, much less how they managed to remove virtually EVERY SINGLE KEY from the keyboard. I, myself, have occasionally flicked a key off its perch, and they snap right back in. That doesn't hold true for keys that have been forcibly removed by four banging toddler fists. The surface of the key is actually attached to the keyboard by two intricate pieces of plastic that have to be carefully snapped into place, locked into one another, and then the key itself snaps on top. Not very difficult, assuming you can find all of the pieces.

At any rate, I walked into the room, saw the bare keyboard, all of the keys and the many pieces of plastic, and I felt my blood pressure elevate. It actually took me a couple of seconds to recognize the computer and what transpired during the 15 minutes I was cleaning, but, once I fully grasped what I was seeing, my blood pressure doubled. My mouth dropped open, and I turned on my heel to go outside for Skip. Needless to say, the girls were in BIG TROUBLE.

We spent two hours locating all of the pieces, reattaching all of the plastic parts and snapping the keys in place. Remarkably, we are only missing two keys.

No comments: