Friday, October 21, 2016

Enumerated Update

Happy Friday, friends!

Currently, the girls and I are attending an overnight school camp. Sleeping bags are involved, along with less than luxurious shower conditions. I'm sure we will be having fun, though.

Other than wearing flip-flops to the shower and applying insect repellent, here's where we are:

1) Harry Potter: So the HP series is happening in a big way at our house right now. We are ALL ABOUT some Hogwarts Academy. Lauren just finished book three, and Gracie just wrapped book one. Having never read the series, I took a peak as well, and incorporating the language into our vernacular has been fun. Skip and George are not appreciating it as much... but they will get on board soon, I'm sure.

We already have them yelling out "VOLDEMORT!!!!" periodically.

2) Election: How are you holding up? I am avoiding social media. Although the girls remember the 2012 election cycle, they do not remember all of the hostility and anger that results from elections. We keep reminding them that adults only get one vote and that it's virtually impossible to influence someone else's vote. Therefore, all a voter has to do is educate him/herself on the issues/candidates and cast an informed vote. They do not need to shout out their feelings about their preferred candidate or hurl insults toward the opposition, as is happening in their classrooms... and in my social medial streams.  

For us adults, here are some tips from the clever girls at Man Repeller.  Although these were intended for those Facebooking the debate live, this is good advice going forward. My personal strategy? Don't engage... just vote.

Don't engage.

Don't engage. 

Don't engage.  

3) Time: This is especially for those of you who are juggling multiple demands, i.e., work and family.

4) Pairing Wine with Homework: No explanation needed.






5) Gilmore Girls: I have a huge confession. A couple of years ago I jumped on the Gilmore Girls bandwagon and watched the series in its entirety. I think Skip was traveling a lot and maybe it was during the winter when things were a little slow... regardless, I watched it, liked it and will likely watch it with the girls when they are a good bit older.

(No, I did not like the last season, and yes, I look forward to the reunion.)

I especially liked the pop culture references, particularly those of a musical or literary nature. Creator Amy Sherman-Palladino infused Rory with her passion of books, and BuzzFeed once helpfully compiled a list of all 339 books referenced throughout the series. Just when you think you've read everything, a list like this pops up with additional books to consider (I have only read about 1/3 of the list!).

But so the long awaited reunion is about a month away. Yes!



Y'all have a great weekend!






No comments: