Sunday, November 20, 2011

Blessings

Throughout the month of November, everywhere I have read, I see comments from people expressing "thanks," or taking the "thankful challenge," and/or otherwise simply embracing the spirit of Thanksgiving.  Giving thanks is something that we do not even begin to do often enough.  In fact, I would guess that many of the gifts we are given are not even noticed or really appreciated -- at least, this is the case for me.  This lackadaisical appreciation should and must change. 

We attended Sarah's life celebration in Williamsburg, Virginia, on November 12th.  We were given our marching orders by the family before arrival:  This was to be a time of thankfulness and celebration.  We tried our best to follow their wishes. 

On our drive into Virginia, we were struck by seeing a moonrise over the Virginia foothills.  The moon was so awesome -- so large and luminous -- that I sent a text to my mom who was here at our home, babysitting our three children (yes, she is a saint), to please take Gracie outside to let her see the moon (she loves the moon, and this was the largest moon I had ever seen!).  Truly, it was an inspired sight. 

An hour or so later, we stopped in Wytheville, Virginia, had dinner, checked into a hotel and slept for the night.  And, I did not think much more about the moon. 

On our return trip we drove straight from Williamsburg to Birmingham -- approximately a twelve-hour drive.  When the Birmingham skyline came into view, the buildings were lit with the most perfectly beautiful sunset we have ever seen.  This time, however, I thought much more about how awesome the sunset was and the timing of it all.  I do not really know how to explain this, but the timing did not seem coincidental at all.

Sometime after Sarah's diagnosis and surgery, she began penning her "daily blessings," mostly on Facebook.  Her musings inspired everyone who knew her (me included) or knew of her.  There were innumerous blessings last weekend.  My ongoing homage to Sarah will be to be much more deliberate about recognizing those blessings, acknowledging that they come from God and continually giving thanks.

No comments: