Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Enumerated Update



Happy Tuesday, friends! How is your week so far?  We are enjoying some cooler weather and getting into the fall spirit.  Otherwise, here's where we are:

1) Iconic:  Have you heard about Jonathan Zufi's project?  Zufi collected more than 500 Apple products, dating back to the original Apple I in 1976, and then flew all over the country to photograph rare collectors' items and prototypes.  In all, he took more than 150,000 photos (some of which are displayed on his site, Shrine of Apple) and ultimately self-published a book, Iconic: A Photographic Tribute to Apple Innovation. Zufi says of the project, "I wanted to create a repository where people who also love the company and its products could go and reminisce."  Well done, Zufi.

2) Fabulous Fashionistas: How about this project?  A short film (47 minutes... is that a short?) about six women, with an average age of 80. My favorite quotes so far are below:

 "I don't give a damn what people think of me or the way I dress..." 

"I'm going to actually look good and feel good and do amazing things."

"Well, I'm now 85, and I'm not sure if I'm really a supermodel. But people seem to call me that from time to time."

"I love mini skirts."

"I'm leading... a different life. I suppose it's more adventurous."

"I always think 'When I get older, I'll do this, that and the other,' but so far I haven't gotten old."

"Sometimes I think people must look at me and think, 'That poor old 87 year old woman. Who does she think she is!' I don't give a toss. I don't give a damn what anybody says about me. Not at all." 

You get the idea. 

On its surface, the film is about fashion but also so much more.  Their intelligence, fitness, stamina and strength are astounding -- regardless of their ages.  I'm in awe.  See the film here.

3) Purchase: We purchased a car last week, a 2012 Chrysler Town & Country.  For a couple of frugal types, this was a big deal, and we have been mentally wiped out from making such a large purchase.  On the other hand, having reliable transportation is a luxury to which we could become accustomed.  (Honda, you are still on our list.)

Speaking of Honda, we disclosed the transmission issues during the trade-in process, and to our pleasant surprise, the Odyssey still had value. Of course, when we tried to determine the severity of the problem and I expressed a desire to keep the Odyssey as a primary car for another couple of years, they looked at me like I was c-r-a-z-y.  Basically, they confirmed that the transmission is...done.

4) Fun Fact:  One of our favorite negotiation statements is gone.  We paid very little for our last two vehicles - very, very little.  Over the past five years, whenever we were negotiating a major purchase, we would often express impassioned incredulity by exclaiming, "That's more than we paid for our car!!!!"  Not only was that a very effective statement but also had the added benefit of being true.

5) Speaking of: I really wish I could have filmed Skip during the week we spent negotiating with multiple dealerships about cars.  His efforts culminated into stalking a general manager via text and concluded with what I call the this-is-the-price-if-you-never-text-me-again price.  We were quite the pair, what with Skip offering ridiculously low amounts and me standing beside my 13 year-old van, crying softly over the idea of leaving our beloved Odyssey behind (not really, but we were sad to see it go).  It was a little like getting rid of the family pet.



6) Seven: We spent the weekend celebrating the duo turning 7.  We had a fantastic time celebrating with friends and family, but are now in recovery mode.  Updates to come soon.

I would love to have another bullet point, but that's about it.  What is happening with you?


No comments: