Saturday, October 10, 2015

Enumerated Update



Happy Friday, friends!

William George is joined today by his sisters for a Friday full of fun. Grace and Lauren's school have a professional development day, and they have been assigned some "eDay" activities. Personally, we are very pro eDay, particularly for days when school is canceled due to weather, but you would correctly guess that we wrapped up our assignments Thursday evening so that we can have a long weekend of fun.

Work first, then play, yes?

But first we have a little business to attend to because we are very much long overdue for an updated photo of the trio. After a quick appointment at a portrait studio, I have promised some fun.

But so here is where we are otherwise...

1) Fall: We really try to be content in all things, but where is our sweater weather? I feel greedy even typing that sentence, and I have to confess that I have been wearing fall clothes for weeks and have simply kept the air conditioning cranked to freezing to be able to pull it off. At the end of August, Skip told me I couldn't just decide it was fall.

[Blink. Blink-Blink.]

Anyone who knows me well knows that I will "declare" it fall and have done so as early as August 15th. While that may be early, we are now a couple of weeks into the actual and legitimate season of fall, and I would very much like to wear sweaters without incurring an astronomical power bill and/or taxing the effectiveness of my deodorant.

Why is it still 85+ degrees?

2) Milestones: Last week I encountered one of the less-discussed childhood milestones. We were goofing around, and I jokingly (and ironically, I might add) told one of the trio to "check yo-self before you wreck yo-self."

The response?

"That's so lame, mom."

Let's mark that one down, shall we? The first time the children called me lame.

I tried explaining irony, but they were not following at all.

3) Fun Fact: I have a secret dream to one day own a Vespa. Also, the dream involves living someplace where a Vespa makes sense, and is now complicated by the message we relay to our children about motorcycles not being safe. (Apologies if the latter part of that sentence is offensive to anyone. We are old insurance/risk assessment people, and actuarially, motorcycles are the least safe mode of transportation -- along with bicycles.) BUT... I still want one, and this site for vintage Vespas is a DREAM.

4) Related and Contradictory: Skip and I recently saw a motorcycle with a child-sized sidecar, and we had one of those moments where we turned to each other simultaneously and said: YES.

But we won't.

5) Buzz words: It's been long time since we have had a buzz word, but today I'm introducing the phrase "gavel down".

Example: Let's gavel down on this in the meeting tomorrow. I'm tired of spinning on it and want to get it done."



And that's it for us. Happy weekend!

No comments: