Monday, June 20, 2016

Weekend Update



Happy first day of summer, friends! William George and I are sitting on the deck having a delicious snack of Goldfish crackers, after having dropped Grace and Lauren off for summer camp. Until we pick them up this afternoon at 5:30pm, we have the place to ourselves. George has already completed several pages in his workbooks, and I have ordered new books because they are from last summer. George has played on the playground, and now we are taking a break. (In reality, I paused for the break, and he is now swinging again.)



How was your weekend? Ours was lovely. The girls went swimming with a friend last Friday to help her celebrate turning nine, and George and I ran errands. We are bracing for another piping hot summer and have turned our attention to anything that will help us stay cool. Accordingly, George was ready for some type of pool. We usually swim at the Y, but that doesn't exactly help them stay cool here at home when they want to play outside. Although the girls are too old for any type of kiddie pool, I was intrigued by this, the run-away hit of the year for backyard inflatables:



Have you seen this? It's kind of a lounger, and I thought maybe the girls would consent to at least sitting in the pool periodically to cool off. The pool, aptly named the "family lounger" was available at Wal-Mart and has flown off the shelves. It looks very cool, except I am going to have to take exception to the name, since the dad in the photo looks as if he has even an inch of water covering  him. While I definitely do not buy into the whole "family" part of the sales pitch, I am hopeful that it will fit a couple of nine year olds.

So I ordered one online, except there were only about four available in my city and none available for online purchase. Long story short, I nabbed one of the remaining few, and George and I took a short road trip to scoop it up.

We spent Saturday morning celebrating our neighbor's birthday. Actually, when I got up Saturday morning, she and George were on the sofa watching Teen Beach Movie so we had a visit, and then we joined their family for the party later. After some waterslide fun and birthday cupcakes, we went to Gran and Poppa's for a Father's Day lunch. After a good visit with them, we called it a day.




We went to the conventional service on Sunday so the girls could serve as acolytes. Afterward, we took Skip to lunch for Father's Day, although he picked a pizza place because he knew everyone would love it. In a continued display of selflessness, he treated the trio to shave ice on the way home. We did give him some goodies, and everyone allowed him a huge rarity -- an indulgent nap!




No comments: