Friday, February 17, 2017

Enumerated Update

Happy Friday, friends!

Long time, no see. Sorry about that. I have been kind of staring, slack-jawed, at various news outlets since January 20th.  During that span of time, I have exhausted all of my free articles from the newspapers I peruse, and have revived an old Twitter account in order to pick up news from those publications.  

Any rate, I'll try to get back up to speed. In the meantime, here's what is happening with us.  

1) Pet peeves: Members of congress whose e-mail has a zip code verification step. Granted, I can understand and appreciate wanting only to hear from one's constituents (although they probably aren't eager for that either), but when one holds a position on key committees, one should expect to hear from the country at large. To those congressmen and women, I say, "You know we have your mailing address, right?"  



 #ShePersisted

2) Star Wars: I have alluded to this franchise previously. For the record, it is a point of pride that I have never seen ANY of these movies. I realize you may feel differently, and I may have favorites that you loathe. Fair enough. It's just that I have managed to go a lifetime without seeing them, and I don't exactly want to break the streak now.  

But George now LOVES anything and everything to do with Star Wars. Getting on board with Harry Potter was a stretch for me, but I don't think I have Star Wars in me. This is going to need to be a dad activity.  

3) 1984: Have you finished re-reading 1984? Here's what to read next.

(I previously read Super Sad True Love Story and The Circle... both are fantastic, but Skip wants to add that the former is more prescient.)  

4)  Morning Joe: Skip thinks I have a crush on Joe Scarborough so I am risking ridicule by posting this editorial that pre-dated the Flynn discovery and termination. Previous presidents have "looked into [Putin's] eyes and seen his soul," and we have tried to "re-set" the situation. The Trump-Putin bromance is alarming on every level, and the cover story of rebuilding the relationship is just not plausible.  

Y'all, this Russia thing is not working for me... at... all.  I will leave it at that.  

5) China: On a much lighter note, I have written of my love for the White House China Room previously.  The Official White House China: From the 18th to the 21st Centuries has been updated/expanded. (I already picked up a copy for the dining room.)

We have a busy weekend with a full day of science olympiad tomorrow. I hope yours is wonderful!


No comments: