Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Nora Ephron

If you're female and have gone to the movies at any time in the last 25 years, you have probably seen the work of Nora Ephron. With little exception, most of her films have enjoyed huge commercial success. (In full disclosure, I have only seen five from this list of 15.)

I tend to be a more consistent patron with her essays. Her wit, self-deprecation and stark observations make for a read that is impossible to put down. I picked up "I Feel Bad About My Neck" shortly after its release, and I recently finished "I Remember Nothing". After completing the latter, I realized that she had released an additional essay collection in 2007. Without giving the title much thought, I sent a request to my local library branch for a "book purchase" (if you're shouting "nerd!" at your screen right now, I completely understand) of this 2007 book, entitled "Wallflower at the Orgy." Since it has been more than 60 days, I am assuming there has been some sort of hold-up with my book. I am virtually certain that none of the essays are about orgies, per se, and this book is being unfairly judged by its title.

I am obviously bitter that I am going to have to pony up $10 of my own money to make the online purchase. Until then, here's a brief interview she provided New York Mag.

No comments: