Thursday, March 24, 2011

Recipe of the week: Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies



This recipe has been around forever and ever, and everyone refers to it as something different, i.e., chocolate oatmeal cookies, no-bake cookies, quick cookies, drop cookies, etc. The bottom line? They are one of my all time, hands down, favorite cookies. Actually, for me they are number one, with a bullet. The recipe is from my mom, but I think most moms have this one lurking in their little recipe boxes from the 70's. Here it is, in case you have somehow missed it:

Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

Put in a saucepan:

4 cups sugar
1 cup cocoa
1/2 pound butter
1 cup milk

Bring to a rolling boil, and then cook for two minutes. Then add:

1 cup peanut butter
6 cups oats
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vanilla

Mix thoroughly, and then drop on wax paper.

I like that recipes from the 1970's did not get flowery with language and/or mince words. Somehow I managed to lift the original typed (and much worn) index card from my mom, and it really does add to the experience. This recipe is obviously pre-Food network, pre-Williams Sonoma and pre-everything else that makes simple cookies pretentious.

Anyrate. These are scrumptious. I have made a vow to myself to only make them once a year (at Christmas time), but I did make an exception this week and make them for Skip's family.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Until recently, I thought these cookies were all you could make! I did always love when you brought these to work! Yum Yum!

The Lindsey Family said...

Funny... these cookies were all I would make until recently, and I'm sure that's why you thought that! :-). I have had to change that policy and venture into new foods. I would prefer to just stick with these cookies, truth be told!

Now you can make your own!