Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Stalking

Today I stalked our mail carrier.

Almost a year ago, I started researching the 50mm 1.4 lens. The price, unfortunately, was very offputting. I looked for some used options, but could never bring myself to accept the risk. Periodically, I would poke around again to see if I could find anyone with a barely used lens who might be looking to trade up (and reasonably sell their current lens to me). Finally last week I located such a lens on eBay (natch). The lens was purchased eight months ago and its owner wanted to acquire a 70mm version instead. I was intrigued. I bid, and I won.

Then I became nervous. Because, even used, the price is still exorbitant, albeit 20-25% off the new, retail price. Very thankfully, I received incredibly generous birthday funds (back in December) from my mom, my dad and stepmom, and Skip's parents. Still, we tend to hoard special funds such as those, and I never purchase anything of significant value, sight unseen. To be completely truthful, I rarely purchase anything of significant value period.

The item shipped immediately after payment was sent and was scheduled for delivery today. Since my signature was required, the stalking was necessary. The lens arrived and is absolutely perfect. It is in great condition with very minimal use, and I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

Thanks Mom; Dad and Eva; and Ralph and Sally! I LOVE it!!!

No comments: