Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Before Midnight



Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, starring Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke, are two of my favorite films.  Imagine my surprise to learn, via Joanna Goddard's A Cup of Jo, that there is another installment, Before Midnight, that premiered at Sundance last week to rave reviews.  Praise has been heaped from many sources, and the description that captures these movies best was written by New York Magazine's Vulture blog.  The movies, in their entirety, rely on "hyperliterate conversations that are this franchise's trademark pleasure." 

I loved the first film when I saw it in 1995.  The second film (2004) really struck a cord because Skip and I were dating, and we lived in different cities at the time.  Therefore, we exchanged lots of e-mail and had many, many, many telephone conversations in between visits and before we resided in the same city in 2005.  This dialogue-rich film felt familiar to us.

I will be excited to see Before Midnight. I would like to recommend an immediate viewing, but the film is slated for a September release.  In the meantime, if you missed the first two installments, please see them now.

No comments: