Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Enumerated Update



How was your weekend? Hopefully, you enjoyed a long one. We mostly did, although Skip opted to work Monday. The duo were out of school, and we decided to take a quick trip to Atlanta to see family. Other than that, here's where we are:

1)  Planners:  I received an e-mail from a friend six days into the new year regarding plans/events in June.  Even with my resolution to be more organized and my new-found planning skills, I gave the note a double take.  Obviously, I need to channel her skill set going forward.  After comparing notes and planning a couple of things in June (again, not spring break plans but SUMMER plans), I ran across this article in the NYT.  There's an entire world of planners out there that I don't know about, isn't there?

2)  Red Carpet Season:  I watched the Golden Globes when it aired recently (loved Ben Affleck's facial expression when he won for "Best Director," by the way) and am looking forward to the rest of the awards season.  Since we normally aren't big television watchers, we only have one television (how typically first-world is that statement?), and, for the first time ever, I am sort of wishing we had a television in the bedroom.  My wish to see all the fashion is colliding with my primal need to hibernate for the winter.  As much as I like all the pretty, I don't like fashion's chances in this showdown.

3)  Vocabulary:  Speaking of, the other day William George was messing with (read: destroying) something in the duo's room.  Gracie asked him to stop, saying, "I don't want you to break that, George, because it makes my room look so fashionable."  The vocabulary expansion is always so endearing and never gets old.

4) Inauguration: This was a big event at our house -- at least it was for me. Skip worked for most of the day, but I pulled the duo into the family room to watch portions of the ceremony. We have been talking about Martin Luther King, Jr., and the holiday celebrating his birthday. I pointed to the screen, to the image of President Obama and told them MLK made that possible. I told them they also watched in 2008, although they have no recollection, what with being two years old at the time. I am hopeful they remember this time, although my first political memory involves watching Ronald Reagan's inauguration in the 4th grade. I remember the chairs aligned and positioned in front of the television, and I remember the swearing in ceremony.  If not this time, they will surely preserve the inauguration of 2016. 

 
5) Inauguration Bonus (i.e., the fashion): Mrs. Obama's sleek bangs are fantastic, and I loved the black ensemble... but... not for the inauguration. Did you expect to see something more glamorous? The girls, on the other hand, were absolutely stunning in their colorful J. Crew. I am a complete softy for girls in dress coats, and they knocked it out of the park. LOVED.

6) Weekend: We went to Atlanta for a quick visit to celebrate cousin Will's birthday. Although I tried to take some photos, what the camera contains is a mystery, as we were dedicated to wrangling William George on a full time basis. He is not used to a non-baby-proofed environment (neither are we, it turns out), and it took Skip and I both on constant watch to keep him from falling down the stairs on various occasions.  If there are any usable photos, I will update. If not, assume we are medicating with copious quantities of wine to settle our nerves from all the nonstop toddler wrestling.

7)  Shnow:  When we returned home from Atlanta, William George was looking for the snow from last Thursday.  He kept going to the window saying, "Shnow? Shnow??  Shnow???"

8) Status: Did you make resolutions? As January closes, how is your progress? Our big goal involved revamping out entire organization system. Although we have a long way to go, I would grade us favorably so far.

That's it for us.  What's happening with you?

 

No comments: