Monday, May 13, 2013

Enumerated Update



Happy Monday, friends!  How was your weekend? Ours was busy, what with a dance recital and Mother's Day. 

Here's where we are:

1)  Met Gala: The theme for the May 6th event was Punk: Chaos to Couture.  See the red carpet slide show here.  Like the punk movement itself, the Gala was probably great fun, but the images are not pretty.  Notables include Sophia Coppola (who, in my eyes, can do no wrong) and Sienna Miller who presented an edgy leather jacket from Burberry (yes, Burberry!). 

Thoughts? Did you like the punk flashback, or are you thinking the time has come to retire the punk look forever?

2)  Lingo: Wreck shop.  Ok, this isn't a business buzz word (yet) but is a classic example of street slang that would be picked up by someone nerdy (guilty as charged) and adapted to the work setting. This adaptation is analogous to when street style makes its way to the runway.  And the term is ubiquitous at this point, but I cannot help myself. 

The example is brought to you from Kliff Kingsbury (via Skip) and a note he sent to his players:

Also, we advise you to be active over the break as you will need to be ready to work once June rolls around. Sitting at the house playing COD/2K13/Madden against 12 year olds online doesn't count as activity even if you claim to "wreck shop".

Or, as I said to Skip when I arrived home from errands Friday afternoon:

I just wrecked shop at the Hobby Lobby. 

3) Mike Jeffries/Abercrombie: The Abercrombie thing wasn't really a thing here until well after my teen years. To me, this is simply the store that renders olfactory insult each time I walk past its storefront at the mall.  If I remember in time (and I never do because I am an infrequent mall shopper), I pass on the other side. Otherwise, this brand means nothing to me. 

Given Jeffries' inflammatory statements about his target audience (i.e., an exclusive group comprised of skinny, attractive, popular types) goes against our family creed of "building up" versus "tearing down," and therefore, the Abercrombie label will not be found in any of our closets (once our children are teens, of course). 

4) Ballet: The duo's ballet recital was Saturday, and drama was running high at our house, as we shuffled downtown for the dress rehearsal and then returned later for the show, where they totally wrecked shop.  (Sorry...I can't help myself.)

Updates soon. 

That's it for us.  How are things with you? 



No comments: