Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Enumerated Update

Happy Tuesday, friends!  We are running a little behind schedule and are hoping to catch up soon.  How are things with you?

1)  Fun Fact: I prefer beverages cold, as in ice cold.  Really I prefer crystallized ice in whatever beverage I am drinking. Actually, to be completely honest, having the drink served partially frozen is ideal.  To get to that perfect state, admittedly, a few drinks have burst in my freezer over the years.  This is unpleasant at home, but is especially embarrassing if the freezer in use is a community freezer, say, a workplace freezer, but that has only happened a few times.  Those clean ups were performed in record time - to avoid witnesses. Also, I am an impeccably neat microwave user, and that should mitigate the freezer admission somewhat. Lastly, since the freezer thing might make you not want to share an appliance with me, please be assured that no one knew about the explosions, as the ensuing clean-up was completely thorough.

A couple of weeks ago, the trio were seated at the kitchen table completing homework.  I was standing at the counter, next to the freezer, when a loud "SSSSHHHHPPPOOWWWW" sound came from the freezer.  "What was THAT???!!" the children wanted to know. 

"Oh, nothing," I reassured them, thinking of the beverage I had placed there hours earlier, while quickly launching into clean up mode.  After that type of situation, I always vow to never put a drink in the freezer again, and the promise remains intact for a little while.  

But then this happened.  For Mother's Day, my mom brought a surprise. 


I think you know where this is headed.  So, of course, my favorite vice (I know how bad they are for me, but this is my only real vice -- my worst habit.) is exponentially better served in the glass bottles.  Sipping this beverage from a glass bottle is the way God intended, and the only thing better is when the drink is ice cold.  The last time I had the glass bottles I found myself cleaning both frozen soda AND glass out of the freezer.  And Coca-Cola glass? It splinters, friends, to the point that there are tiny slivers and shards of glass all over one's freezer contents.  I really did vow to never burst a glass bottle again, but the thing is bottles freeze faster.  For example, an aluminum can may take 4-6 hours to actually burst, but a bottle will burst in about an hour.  Or so I have heard.

But this time I caught the situation just in time:




Note the ice at the top, but that the bottle itself is still intact.  Whew. 

The pay off? Delicious, icy goodness that's more than worth the risk.

2)  Extracurriculars:  We have been completely maxed out, schedule-wise, over the last 10 days or so.  Updates coming soon on Kindergarten graduation, piano recitals and softball awards night.

3)  Year-end: This is the duo's last week of school, and we are having a tough time making it to class.  Gracie was sick last Thursday, and Lauren was home yesterday and today.  William George is thrilled, of course, but posting is lighter than usual, considering doctor visits, activities and more hands-on wrangling.

What's happening with you?

   

No comments: