Friday, July 19, 2013

Landline

The phasing out of landline telephone service and the telephone company's willful refusal to adapt to this trend is amusing to me. Personally, I see no reason for basic landline telephone service to exceed $10.00 per month at this point.  (When demand plummets, so does the price.)  I could go on a tangent about that, but you surely do not need to hear my thoughts concerning exorbitant services that are becoming increasingly antiquated with each passing second.

I noticed our retro kitchen wall phone appeared in the background of some of George's birthday photos. Upon seeing that, my children will probably chuckle at the quaintness of such an object. Even if we tell them the retro phone is kind of ironic to us, they will still guffaw over being tied to a wall, of all things.

"You can make the phone as cool as you'd like, you're still chained to a wall, for crying out loud!" they are likely to (correctly) argue.

Anyrate. While navigating the ATT website a couple of years ago, I stumbled onto their arguments in favor of maintaining a landline.  How I wish I had linked to that piece when I found it because they have cleaned the list up considerably.  Currently, their arguments for having a landline include:


  • Peace of mind
  • Clear and reliable connection
  • Service you can count on
  • Plans that fit your needs
  • Popular calling features
  • Low monthly price


I would argue with all of those points, but at least the list no longer includes "use your landline to locate your mobile phone, in the event it becomes misplaced," which, I promise you, was a previously listed argument.

George would add a use to the list.  "Play rocket launcher with your retro phone's extra long cord."



Remember these cords? Your mom could talk and walk throughout the entire home. William George discovered this cord last February and had fun... kind of like the fun he will have telling his children about having a landline phone growing up. "No, see, when you wanted to make a call, you walked over to a wall and picked up a receiver..."  I feel like the outhouse is tapping the landline on the shoulder (tap-tap-tap) and saying, "Dude, your moment is so over."

No comments: