Thursday, September 30, 2010

Cupcakes

The birthday celebration continues. This morning I stood outside of Hobby Lobby, waiting for the store to open. I have mixed feelings about Hobby Lobby on a good day, much less when I am standing on the sidewalk at 9:02 a.m., awaiting the 9:00 a.m. opening. (Truthfully, my feelings are not that conflicted. I tend to be opposed to the Hobby Lobby and stores of its ilk.) The clutter in Hobby Lobby makes me nervous, to put it lightly, and I have fantasies of swiping some of the more over-the-top displays to the floor. Hobby Lobby is the reason that storage companies do so well.

Whatever. Bygones.

What I logged on to share is that we made cupcakes yesterday for the girls' class this morning. We have a joint theme this year, consisting of Sleeping Beauty and Barney that Lauren and Gracie, respectively, chose themselves. I'm not sure if Gracie's choice is motivated 1) by a renewed interest/love in/for Barney or 2) by her wish to choose the exact opposite of whatever Lauren wants (which is increasingly becoming her way). She threw us a curve ball, what with the discontinuation of most Barney goods, but we worked out a pink and purple theme that we can live with.

For the cupcakes, we stuck with a simple plan: white icing + a decoration that they applied themselves. Here's how they turned out:




The cakes, on the other hand, will not be so simple, and that's why I had to stand on the sidewalk of Hobby Lobby.

No comments: