Monday, April 25, 2011

Eggs



We went to Costco last Wednesday night to pick up several things, including eggs to dye for Easter. Eggs at Costco are sold in increments of 18 eggs or boxes of 7 1/2 dozen. The disparity of those two choices should not have surprised me, being at a big box store and all, but I was a little taken aback. In fact, it tickled my funny bone. Seven dozen? Who buys seven dozen eggs? Since I did not want to boil/dye 90 eggs, we picked up a couple of the 18-egg crates.

Last year we had less than optimal results with a Martha Stewart egg boiling strategy. This year, I utilized the much simpler instructions on this page, and had good results. Our eggs last year were undercooked (please don't laugh; we do not eat hard boiled eggs -- EVER)(actually, I don't mind if you laugh). Predictably, this year I swung the pendulum too far the other way and had a few cracked eggs from overcooking. Even with that negligible damage, the overall result was much better.

The waiting:



The boiling:



The shining! I especially liked the step of glossing the eggs with vegetable oil, taking the look from a matte finish to a nice shiny sheen!



There are no pictures of the actual dye process because we bravely tacked this activity indoors this year. Since my nimble assistants were very, VERY excited, I needed both hands (unencumbered with the camera) to keep various bowls/cups from being spilled.

No comments: