Thursday, March 1, 2012

Gracie-isms



While Gracie may have been a hesitant talker and while she may have had some speech assistance, she has developed a flair for rhetoric.  Accordingly, she is shedding many of her preschooler-isms, a few of which were too endearing to correct.  Today's casualty was her famous "I can't want it" statement.  That sentence was oft repeated over the last few years.  To get the full picture, the discussion went something like this:


Me:  "Gracie, would you like to play with your doll house?"
Gracie:  "No, I can't want it."
Lauren:  "You can't want it, Gracie?"
Gracie:  "No, I can't want it." 

Lauren:  "Do you want to play upstairs instead?"
Gracie:  "No."
Lauren:  "Is it 'cause Gracie can't want it?"
Gracie:  Holding her head high, like a monarch about to render a ruling to her subject, "No, I can't want it."   

Today, when she told me she didn't want something, I knew it was the end of an era. 

No comments: