Monday, March 5, 2012

Weekend update



Although our weekend started off ominously (school closures due to tornadoes), we had a fantastic time overall.  George and I picked up the girls at noon Friday, and they came home and had fun in the play room.  George was having an exceptionally good time since Lauren taught him how to play their old Schoenhut piano.  After a while, I moved George into Gracie and Lauren's room while I put away their laundered clothes.  Finally, when it was time for a bottle, I sat him very carefully in the middle of the carpeted flooring, away from any furniture or other obstacles (in case he fell to the side), and I told the girls to offer him toys if he became fussy. 

I went downstairs long enough to grab a prepared bottle from the refrigerator.  In doing so, I heard a very loud THUD, followed by crying from George.  I raced back up the stairs, taking the first three or four steps in the first leap.  As I landed on the stairs, I heard Gracie say, "Why did you put him on the bed??!!!!" 

Poor George.  While scooping George off the floor (NOT in the place I left him), I quickly interrogated Lauren. 

"Did you pick up George?!"

"Did you put him on the bed?!"

Yes, came the tearful replies.  Her tears were filled with remorse. 

Gracie is her father's child.  Skip is good-natured and honest to the very core.  Whenever he is under duress, he may as well have been injected with truth serum.  He could never pursue a life of crime.  Gracie is the same way.  During the above episode, information poured out of Gracie.  Lauren  picked up George.  She put him on the bed.  She does it all the time. 

Wait.  What?  She does it all the time?

Thursday after school, I thought I noticed something odd when I walked from the keeping room to the kitchen.  Lauren had apparently picked up George then, too.  Long discussions followed in which we confirmed that George is not to be picked up or carried -- except in extreme emergency (carefully defined). 

The rest of Friday was without injury or incident.  We had a low key family day (Saturday), and we went to see Veggie Tales on Sunday (thanks, Auntie Melinda, for the tickets!).  Larry, the cucumber, and Bob, the tomato, are perfect for capping off the weekend.

No comments: