Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Olympics, 2012

I am an Olympics person.  The Olympics won my heart in 1980 with the United States' hockey win over Russia.  I was pretty young back then, but those images really impressed the concept of an underdog emerging triumphantly. 

My favorite sport would have to be gymnastics, followed by swimming and then followed by any other event awarded a medal.  Truthfully, by the middle of the second week, I will watch any competition.  Skip, on the other hand, is not as enthusiastic.  Don't get me wrong... he is hugely patriotic and enjoys sports, but I think he has a negative association (don't ask). 

Currently, I do not have quite as much time to devote to watching the games, i.e., I am unable to block off the entire two weeks and engage only in Olympics viewing.  I catch events here and there, and I am monitoring the games via mobile phone applications.  We did, however, watch the opening ceremony, and we both gave the show very high marks.  The Queen was awesome, the show was spectacular, and the energy around the show was infectious. 

After the opening show, Skip bowed out of the athletes' entrance, whereas I watched until the bitter end.  Each and every country is thrilling to watch, whether the country's delegation consists of 3 athletes or 300.  In fact, sometimes a lone athlete representing a country that has never received a medal is the very ultimate in dignity. 

Anyrate, while I loved each and every country that marched, here are some of my favorite countries (and the clothes they wore). 

1)  Netherlands



What is great about London hosting the games is that you can conceivably wear a trench coat to the opening ceremony, unlike the 1996 Atlanta games and its atmosphere like the sun's surface.  (Oh, I kid!  We were so proud to have Atlanta host!)  But, really, how awesome is that orange trench against cobalt?

2)  San Marina

Accessories!  In case you missed it, the women athletes carried purses.  This is being ridiculed world wide.  Of course, I love it, although I bet schlepping that bag around for hours on end got old. 

3)  Australia


If you can get past thinking of the PGA jacket, this is a good look. 

4)  Belgium


They have the best versatility, e.g., sheath + jacket; pant suit; blazer+jacket+shell.  Clever. 

5)  Bermuda


This is another smart look.  The red skirts and shorts look amazing with the navy blazer.

6)  Great Britain


Truthfully, I would give their attire a B-.  Given the strength of their dramatic entrance (to the tune of David Bowie's "Heroes"), I would grade on a curve and land at a solid A. 

7)  USA



Bias aside, Ralph Lauren's Olympic attire continually impresses.  Manufacturing the clothing in China, however, is disdainful, and prevents further gushing. 

They have committed to manufacture all future Olympic gear in the United States, and I would like to to see them manufacture exclusively here at home. 

Are you into the Olympics?  What is your favorite sport?  Or, are you like me -- a fan of everything --and find yourself learning the lingo of every event aired and suddenly bandying about terms and scoring stats? 

2 comments:

Melanie said...

We love the Olympics at our house! We have had it on every day. Our favorite is swimming and gymnastics by far but really we will watch any of it! Bailey has already learned all of the girl gymnist names and alot of the swimmer names!

The Lindsey Family said...

I'm so impressed with Bailey's knowledge of gymnastics! She will be ready to do some professional commenting by the end of the games.