Tuesday, December 4, 2012

L&G: Sixth Year Photos

At the end of September, information was sent home from school about portrait day. From the outset, I was skeptical, but I dutifully sent the girls to school in a picture-appropriate outfit and encouraged them to smile their best.

Back when I worked I used to long for the opportunity to have candor... to be able to say, "You're not serious, are you?" during telephone calls, etc. During the photo exchanges, I longed for the same honest discussion. For example, I should have sent a note to the photographer saying, "Give it your best shot." Or, to be more realistic, it should have read, "Good luck to you."  Likewise, when the proofs came home, there should have been a note affixed that said, "This was the best we could do." And then I could have responded, "There's no way I'm ordering these."

To be clear, I am speaking about the absurdity of trying to get children to cooperate and smile during photos, and am not being critical of the photographers themselves. Honestly, I cannot imagine having to photograph several hundred children. About 10 children into the session, I would snap and use my camera strap as a weapon.

 Anyrate, that is the back story leading up to the girls' six year old portraits.  One Sunday morning, they cooperated for about 10 minutes, and we were able to document their six year old selves for all of posterity. 

The Duo
 

 
 Gracie
 
 
Lauren

 
 
 
Some of the outtakes, including the fashion pose (with accessories):
 

 
A little photo bomb action from George:



 
The famous smile:


Am I the only one wondering why he never smiles that enthusiastically on his photo day?

Her Loveliness



Princess Radiance
 


And before you think this was a calm, peaceful moment on a typical Sunday morning, I should disclose that William George learned to climb the steps alone during the 10 minutes we spent on photographs.  I was taking the last photos when I heard the keyboard start playing upstairs, and had to sprint to the top of the stairs to intercept him on his way down.  Crisis averted. 
 
Whew.





No comments: