Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Enumerated Update

Grace in her Missoni outfit from the 2011 collaboration with Target

The enumerated update or status update, as Skip and I used to call it, has been in retirement. Today, perhaps briefly, the update is making a little comeback.

Olympics: This is purely Russia-related, but I can barely follow the Olympics. The games are just so... depressing. The atmosphere is bleak, and all of the negative comments about the overall conditions - both in the village and various venues - are off putting.

By way of disclaimer, I normally love the winter games. Shaun White's snowboarding is my favorite feature, but really I like it all... except for the ice skating. I don't care for the sport at all (is it possible to lose one's "woman card"?), but the subjectivity of the points awarded for style - combined with randomly tossing two scores (not discarding the highest and lowest as in previous years) render this an unwatchable event. (Basically, points-trading is on the increase despite flawed efforts to address the problem.)

Regardless, the duo are really into it this time so we need to watch, but Putin's hosting is not making me clamor to get around the television.

Downton Abbey: We have briefly interrupted our no-television streak. Every year during Christmas vacation, we take some time to catch up on a few movies. Movies were lacking this year so we branched out and caught up Downton Abbey. Yes, I know we are the last people on earth to watch Downton, but we were intrigued by Downton when we first heard about it back in 2010. (I should point out that by "we" I mean "me," and Skip would want me to tell you he was merely along for the ride, which he was.) By the time we carved out time for the series, everyone was watching it, and we weren't ready to jump on the bandwagon. We are now current on all four seasons, and a breakdown of our thoughts on Downton will be forthcoming soon. I am trying to talk Skip into a video recap after each show, but season four is almost over (at least via regular viewing; we watched the entire season via iTunes because we are impatient and could not wait). Also, Skip is not sold on the idea. If I can convince him to participate over the next year, we may be recapping Season 5 (like the charming whoorl.com and rageagainsttheminivan.com as seen here. Huge spoiler alert should you click through.).

Related: After typing the above, an interesting and tidy list of films appeared in my Feedly. Check them out here. Some of these may be a little dark for us, but I definitely like this list better than any iTunes, Netflix or AmazonPrimeVideo suggestions.

Peter Pilotto: Pilotto is the latest designer collaboration at Target, and the women's line hit stores Sunday. In four simple words: don't waste your time. As Skip said when we were driving away, "Missoni was really the best collab."

I'm so proud. He has taken the marble from my hand.

Google Doodler: Ever wondered about the person behind the Google doodles? Read about her here.

And that's it for us. Well, that and the fact that we are enjoying another snow day, meaning that my three children have called out some variation of "mommy!!!" at least 7,349 times so far today. (And I will for sure read that sentence 10 or more years from now and be tearful.)

What is happening with you?

No comments: