Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Enumerated Update



Happy Tuesday, friends! How was your weekend?

1) Softball: Last Saturday was opening day for softball, and we had our second game Saturday. The duo have been super excited, and although I am running way behind in the pic department, updates to come soon.

2) Family: We have had family in town, and that has meant lots of cousin time. The duo couldn't have been happier.

3) Common Core: One of our local candidates in the upcoming senatorial election has chosen to attack the common core. Readily, I will admit that I know very little about the subject and rely on what I have read, much like you possibly? My background is in the insurance/risk management sector (think Ben Stiller's character in Along Came Polly)(I will become very Reuben Feffer-like, crazily quoting statistics, if you mention you performed work involving a ladder last weekend.) so I can espouse freely on the law of large numbers, risk reduction, litigation and avenues of recovery, but I tend to tread carefully with regard to subjects about which I have no or little professional experience. Our senatorial candidate does not share the same caution and, instead, uses the topic for political grandstanding.

Anyrate. I didn't mean to veer from my policy of not discussing politics here, but this blog entry is a good counter to some of the negative common core comments seen on my Facebook feed.

4) Internet Snooping: I tend to be opposed to any and all forms of snooping, and therefore, the new Facebook feature revealing who has viewed your profile, is good step toward transparency. Following LinkedIn, beta users of the new Facebook feature can readily see who has been checking out their profile. I'm on board.

5) Online Anger: On a loosely related note, I am baffled by the degree of online anger and hostility displayed in comments. Lately I have become addicted to a couple of online trading sites, partly because the sites are a convenient way to get a virtual flea market/consignment/yard or garage sale fix, but also because the comments are hilarious -- unless the comment is directed at you personally. In that case, the comment probably seems disproportionate, mean-spirited and ill thought out. This NYT article, reminiscing about the lost art of the unsent angry letter, explains what is going on psychologically with the hostile commenters

Do you draft angry letters that remain unsent? I never have, but I often experience Lincoln's oft described case of stairway wit, i.e., this is what I SHOULD have said.

Anyrate... That's it for us. What is happening with you?




No comments: