Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Enumerated Update




Hello, friends! How is your week coming along? Like parents of school age children everywhere, we are exhausted. As the quality of this entry will reveal, I am too tired to even write. We have had dance and piano recitals, a 5K event, last ball games, softball awards night, and we are plowing right into end-of-year parties. It seems like there were other things -- important things -- but I don't remember them. We are soooo tired. The month of May has won, and there are still 11 days remaining. 

Briefly, here are a few items:


1) Forgery: Each day at precisely 3:15pm, the duo's binders are reviewed while they complete homework. Lauren has developed a penchant for signing my name to her agenda book (acknowledging her behavior color for the day) and affixing my signature to her book log. We have explained that signing my signature (she can copy my initials perfectly) is actually forgery, an act that is both frowned upon and felonious. 


Forgery in first grade doesn't bode well.


2) Books: Britain is contemplating banning books for prisoners. TheGuardian explores the importance of books to inmates. Personally I couldn't live without books.  While I am not soft-hearted when it comes to criminals, I do believe in rehabilitation, and reading seems like a good rehabilitative step.


3) It's Funny Because It's True: The duo are counting down the days until school ends. While we are giving the usual "finish strong" lectures and encouragements, the reality is that we are ALL ready for summer. This collection of beginning-of-school-year versus end-of-school year comparisons is spot on. We are ready to put first grade "in the books," as it were.


4) Range: When contemplating the vocal range of the world's most popular singers, a few names come to mind. Huffington Post recently comprised a full list. I had 2 out of the top five... Mariah Carey is an obvious choice, and I probably would have named Steven Tyler. See the full list here.

 And that is it for us. We are longing for schedule-free days, lunches that do not have to be packed and the ability to spend a few hours with nothing planned.



No comments: