Tuesday, March 3, 2015

TJ Maxx: My Other Retail Favorite

This blog is replete with declarations of my love of Target. Another long-time favorite is TJ Maxx - my absolute go-to source for handbags. I mean, of course, a good bag is irresistible anywhere and at any time, but if I am looking for a quality investment, making the trip across town was an imperative. Because while I love bags, I do not love unnecessarily parting with money to cover the exorbitant price.

A few months ago, a TJ Maxx landed within a few miles of my home. I immediately checked it out and dismissed the handbag selection outright -- because the selection can vary widely from store-to-store, and the demographic of our town has been dismissed as being less interested in high(-ish) end leather goods (with the obvious exception of the Christmas season, when all of the stores turn out their very best selection)(I'm hoping this is true for Easter/Mother's Day, too). Perhaps this should be considered a blessing in disguise because having too much temptation could lead to hoarding of the bags, yes? Let's avoid a full-blown obsession.

Anyrate... what was particularly impressive, however, was the home section. Recently, the store was filled with many products from Ralph Lauren's past seasons. After stocking up on some much-needed linens, I was perusing the rest of the store when my cart immediately and abruptly stopped - RRRRRRRRRRKKKK.  Tucked away in the back corner of an end cap shelf was a vase that looked exactly like the elusive Ralph Lauren Glen Plaid vase I have been tracking for years. The backstory on the vase is that it was on the Ralph Lauren site, and had been marked down from $100 to $70. I was waiting for it to fall into the $50 range when it sold out and disappeared forever. Poof! Just like that! The vase is often listed on eBay, usually at an inflated price. As my cart screeched to a halt, I carefully retrieved the vase for inspection. Surely, it was a knock-off since it was only $23.00, but no, friends, I scored the long-awaited crystal vase for $23.00.

The bowls got away... they are still out in the wild. But the vase is mine.










No comments: