Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The corrections

When the girls were infants, I remember reading that parents/caregivers should not speak to their babies in "baby talk," nor should they repeat words and phrases back to their children in baby-speak, as the baby him- or herself has just spoken the words/phrases. Instead, the adult should continue to clearly enunciate so that the word is correctly heard by the infant.

Done and done. Speaking in baby talk was not an issue for us. As cute as it often was, we continued to properly enunciate.

These days we are working on proper sentence structure and correct use of terms... you know, all of that. Some of the phrases are so endearing that I know I'll miss them when they are gone. When we corrected "wait to me" with "wait for me," I was surprised that "wait to me" was simply gone in the blink of an eye. Therefore, I am considering some of these phrases endangered:

1) "I can't like it."
2) And, the equally forceful, "I can't want it."
3) Finally (this is a three part series), there's the "I can't know!" that Lauren hit Gracie with one day when Gracie was grilling Lauren with questions about a Barney plot. After about the fifth question of why "B.J." was acting in a certain way, Lauren said, "Gracie, I can't know!!!"
4) When food smells good: "Mmm... that smells like tasty!"
5) When procrastinating, "I'll do it next day."
6) Or, when excuse-making, "I did it last day."
7) "I do it mysepps!"
8) Finally, "I not in trouble?"

We'll continue to correct grammatical errors, even though some adorability evaporates each time they outgrow a phrase.

No comments: