Monday, June 27, 2011

Summer homework



As our summer schedule (posted last week) indicates, we probably aren't going to be on board with allowing the girls to completely slack over summer vacation.  Truth be told, I lean heavily in favor of year-round school, but recognize that option will not be happening in my district any time soon due to budget cuts and a looming county bankruptcy. 

Since implementing our summer program a few weeks ago, I have seen a couple of online articles about maintaining summer learning activities.  The first, here, is from Erin Kane, co-host of the Manic Mommies podcast.  I especially like her resources.  She has rising 4th and 1st graders so I am saving her links for future reference, as the girls get older.   

Next, as a counter-point, I ran across this article from GreatSchools.com, addressing the summer homework requirements of some high school students.   This article also makes a good point and echos several pieces I have read lately about the issue of excessive homework (read: "busywork").  We have many years before we get to this extreme so I will deal with this when necessary.  I suspect my opinion will be that moderation is key to keeping "buy in" from the student and incentivize the work itself.  For example, I can foresee having a summer book club with my children when they are older, but I doubt that I would expect them to have read 30 substantial literary works over their summer break.  In short, I would hope to strike a quality over quantity balance (read: definitely not "busywork," to which I am strongly opposed). 

Like most issues, we find ourselves squarely in the middle on this topic.  We do not want to have a situation where our children have completely checked out for the summer, but we do not want to go overboard either.  The bottom line is that summer should be a time for fun and that includes the learning opportunities that are provided, which is why we are sneaking our workbooks in between arts and crafts activities.

No comments: