Thursday, September 29, 2011

Shopping for children

Today on Kelly's blog the discussion focuses on children's clothing and favorite places to shop. While I have become very disciplined about shopping for myself, I go bananas over clothing for my children.

Bananas!

Accordingly, I have several favorite brands for clothing. For our twin girls, who are turning five on Monday, I am currently loving Gymboree. I also like Ralph Lauren, and Gap/Old Navy, as well as many Target finds. I especially like the leggings/tops coordinates by Circo. When the girls were younger, I liked the layette selections at Macy's. I also LOVED Babystyle, although it is no longer in business. Finally, I liked classics, such as Osh Kosh.

For our two month son, so far I am liking Gap for layette and Gymboree. We also have the classic Feltman Brothers outfits. I also like Ralph Lauren for boys, but I am leaning heavily toward Gymboree.

Having said all of that, my trick is to purchase the above brands either on consignment, on eBay or at thrift stores (thrifted, as the hipsters say).  For example, I purchased two of Baby George's Feltman Brothers outfits on consignment for $6.00 each -- one of which was new.

For shoes, I used to be a Stride Rite devotee,  but I am really into Pediped now.  We will also pick up shoes on the cheap at Target.

I am eager to see where everyone else picks up their cute finds, and I am especially interested to see preferences for boys, as I am still new to shopping for boys.

Happy Friday, and have a fabulous weekend!

3 comments:

Tiff said...

I love the classic Osh Kosh too! Especially those little overalls!!

That's Life said...

I love Gymboree too. I just hate how expensive they are. But you can't beat their quality.

The Lindsey Family said...

It is insanely expensive, and there is no way I could justify the cost of outfitting three children in Gymboree. As you point out, the clothes are very durable so I pick up slightly used clothes elsewhere. We own quite a bit of that brand, and I have yet to purchase anything directly from Gymboree. I love finding more affordable alternatives.