Friday, May 11, 2012

Mother's Day

I found the below video from Every Mother Counts a couple of weeks ago and saved it to share prior to Mother's Day. Our week continues to be exceptionally busy so I fear I don't have time to do this justice. But, maybe brevity is better.

My story: I had twins 5 1/2 years ago via Cesarean section because one of the babies was breach. Lauren and Gracie went to the NICU for 13 and 17 days, respectively. Last July, I had our son, William George, also via c-section due to some concerns (VBAC, prior multiples pregnancy) and also because he was breach. While I am not one for drama (and I really try to avoid it here in this space, especially), I think my chance for survival would have been significantly diminished without modern medical treatment. As for our babies, I don't allow myself to imagine those scenarios, but will simply say we are incredibly appreciative of the care we received.


 

My purpose for posting this isn't to be a downer on Mother's Day, but simply to remind us all that becoming a mother continues to pose serious health risks, both for the un- and under-insured in our country, as well as in countries where health care is not readily available. 

No comments: