Monday, September 24, 2012

Enumerated Update




1)  Fall is here.  We are beyond excited, as fall is our favorite time of year.

2)  Esquire has a scathing article about Steve Jobs and whether or not he has been missed over the last year.  The article is not generous in the least, and I am assuming this rather insensitive question is directed to non-family and friends and posed to the technical industry and world at large. 

Thursday, after updating my iPhone software to iOS6, I was reminded that we will miss his minimalist aesthetic.  The new refresh graphic is... well, I find myself tempted to use Jobs' favorite criticism.  Let's just say it stinks.  The graphic is tacky.  It's a small thing, of course.  Although it does not affect functionality, we will all have to look at it multiple times each day. 

Less is more -- almost always. 

3)  William George and I went thrifting Friday morning after dropping the girls at school.  We picked up five sweaters for the children (three from Gymboree and two from The Children's Place).  We also picked up four sweaters for me, one of which is cashmere.  We scored nine sweaters for $28.00.  Boom! 

4)  The thing about discipline is that it is so unpleasant to administer.  We are reinforcing the notion that good choices lead to good things, whereas bad choices lead to bad consequences.  We don't want to be weak parents, but following through with the bad consequences is not much fun.  I keep reminding myself of an article I read when the girls were babies.  The article posited that the purpose of discipline isn't necessarily to teach a child how you want him/her to behave, but to teach the child self-discipline.  Still, imposing restrictions does not win any popularity contests. 

5)  We went to the Alabama game Saturday, and the temperature felt much hotter than the high of 84.  As we were sitting in the stands, I could feel perspiration bead and run down my leg.  My dress was wet.  Yet, all over campus, I kept seeing girls in shorts and dresses and cowgirl boots.  Those young women were far more committed to creating a "fall look" than I was.   

What's happening with you?

No comments: