Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sights From the Gulf

I confessed earlier that I am a shameless taker of the vacation photographs.  If you do not share this affliction, look away!  I beg you: Look away!   

Vacationing with small children is a funny prospect.  On the one hand, we have to allow an entire morning or afternoon for the simple tasks of going to the beach or pool.  Logistically, packing everything up for three high maintenance children takes some time and effort, but also time just moves more slowly for them.  Skip always says it's like herding cats.  We have to allow time for the girls to become mesmerized by the umbrellas, and we have to allow time for George's fascination with sand.






Instead of feeling restless or pushing for more efficiency, the slow pace can actually be enjoyable.  Certainly, I found myself with ample time to photograph the scenery.  For example, the below Tommy Bahama store was our backdrop during the 40 minutes of play time. 







When we weren't hanging out, George and I had plenty of time to tour the property.  Since he wasn't as fascinated with the pool as his sisters, he was able to have a reprieve from the sun and enjoy a stroll, while I was able to see the shops. 





We also went out on the pier.  I couldn't help but think how bananas he will be about these boats in the next year or two.  We went out on the pier again on our last night, and we got to see a dinner cruise taking off from the pier.  Lauren kept saying she wanted to join the party, too. I wanted to photograph the party, but I didn't dare take my hands off the duo for even a second while on the pier.   





 We felt very urban in our ability to grab the stroller (tucked in the laundry room of our suite, as opposed to being crammed in the trunk) and walk to dinner or sightsee. 



We are back in suburbia, the stroller is in the trunk, and we sit in carpool lines twice each day.  But vacation, even a mini one, was dreamy. 
 
PS:  On the upside, we don't miss the sand in our clothes, beds, etc. 


No comments: