Friday, January 22, 2016

Enumerated Update



What could be better than a sleety Friday afternoon that has prompted early dismissal from school? Not much, although the temperature could be about 20 degrees colder. In my next life, living with a true winter would be ideal... not Russia or Canada, mind you, but a legitimate winter would be wonderful. Maybe Connecticut... or Montana... or Maine.

Today is January 22nd, and to date, there has only been one day this month in which all three of my children attended school. By way of explanation, Grace succumbed to a separate illness this week. Just when it seems like we might be out of tricks/ideas to keep everyone occupied, along comes some sleet to provide a distraction. We are all home, cozy, and watching the sleet from my bedroom window.

In the meantime, here's what we have going.

1) Tom/Gisele: Since professional football is a foreign language to me, I am rusty on the Tom/Gisele Brady allure, aside from the obvious, of course.  But, no Oreos? Ever? Now I believe they're the perfect couple.

2) Trilogy: We read constantly, although I rarely mention it here in the main portion of the blog (excepting my going on and on about DFW, although to be fair I particularly like Tom Wolfe, too, and am eagerly awaiting his next novel). Music and books are incredibly personal, and we all have such specific tastes so I shy away from making recommendations.

However, I recently wrapped up the Jane Smiley 100 Years trilogy, and I strongly recommend it to everyone I know. Smiley is incredibly underrated, although she won a Pulitzer for A Thousand Acres. She is a force. The three books - Some Luck, Early Warning, and The Golden Age - were released in April, June and October, respectively. I finished the last installment over Thanksgiving. I really prolonged the reading of that book and was genuinely sad to reach the last page. I immediately recommended the trilogy to Skip and am more than a little jealous that he gets to read it. Look for her name on the list of nominees for the Pulitzer this April, and consider picking it up if you are up for a phenomenal, three-book read.

Post-trilogy, I have been in a reading slump, as sometimes happens after reading something especially monumental. The books would be a fantastic winter read, and I'm a little tempted to read through them again.

3) The Departed: Last week, I bemoaned the passing of David Bowie, and this week Skip is struggling with Glenn Frey's early demise.  The thing with Bowie is that he never stopped evolving and only improved over time. Because of that, although I had always liked him well enough, I became a fan as an adult. David Bowie Is continues to tour internationally, and I am hoping for more extensive US dates soon.

Related: His SNL performances have been captured/compiled here.

As for the Eagles, Skip has been obsessed with them since watching a documentary a few years ago (I mentioned it here), and his obsession was solidified with Bill Simmons' endorsement.

He keeps looking at me periodically, saying, "Glenn Frey is dead?!"

4) Seinfeld as Serial: I haven't listened to Serial (individuals falsely convicted/incarcerated rates high on my "biggest fears" list), but the Seinfeld/Serial mash-up is funny.

Also, how Seinfeld and others got their starts.

Lastly, the seventh season of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is in full swing.

5) January: I marked this to share a few weeks ago, but it's not too late to implement some of these ideas if you're struggling to get through the month of January.

Friends, I hope you are warm and cozy, and may you have something interesting to read or watch.  Have a wonderful weekend...




No comments: