Friday, May 12, 2017

Enumerated Update

Happy Friday.

We are in the trenches of the end-of-year (EOY) busyness, and if you have school-aged children I'm sure you are, too. We are all racing around to wrap up all of the activities and/or attend class parties and graduations. You may even be busy coordinating childcare or - gasp - summer jobs/internships for your youngest wage earners.

Briefly, here's where we are:

1) Storyboard: I normally keep several to-do lists going, but for the last two weeks of school the lists have been broken down into an a) outline, b) macro list and c) a micro list.

My neighbor and I were trying to coordinate a date/time for a final brunch before school ends, and we finally settled on the week of June 5th for possible dates. I thought we were supposed to be women of leisure (ha) and instead we are busy for a solid month.




So each day there about ten items (post it version) that have to be done to keep the schedule (above storyboard) moving and so that we don't do anything like... say... go a dance recital without tap shoes. 

There are so many things that I could be better at, but there are three things I can manage: a calendar, a list and a budget. However, I don't like my odds this go around. 

2) Mani: I buy a lot of nail polish. And I used to store it all in a basket under the sink, along with all my nail paraphernalia. That system had its strengths and weaknesses, chief among them that I tended to just grab a polish off the top of the stack and go with it. Apparently, another weakness is that I would sometimes buy duplicates, i.e., either the exact same shade or similar shades (think five shades of red).  So a few weeks ago I ran across a more functional storage system on Amazon.  

Makartt Universal Nail Polish Holder for 48 Bottles with Adjustable Compartments


Voila!  

This particular storage caddy holds 48 polishes (I discarded some of the older ones to make it all fit), and the girls and I love it. Lauren is fascinated by it, particularly, and we have vowed to use them all versus the same three or four over and over again.  

This week: Kyoto Pearl



3) Security Questions: What if online merchants used insecurity questions to verify your identification? Box of tissues and a glass of wine optional.  

4) LOL Cats: Recently I was talking with my mom, and she mentioned that pet videos on social media are one of her pet peeves (sorry... no pun intended). Y'all. I could not disagree more. As I told her, I will watch any pet video. For example, I am a proud follower of Bodega Cats of Instagram, and this one especially got me. 


5)  Dressing Like An Adult: I have had this article saved for a while and had hoped to share it more fully, but in the interest of time, I encourage you to read it. 

And to think that girls used to look forward to the fashion privileges that came with age. During the mid-century, girls leaving for college were encouraged to pack, if nothing else, a three-piece skirt, dress, and jacket, writes Przybyszewski in The Lost Art of Dress. “The shift in women’s fashion in the 1960s would make everyone, even grown women, appear childishly young, but in 1946 the pages of Vogue Patterns offered a variety of skirt suits and dress suits sized for juniors who wanted to look grown-up enough to join the more formal and privileged world of adulthood.”

Have a wonderful weekend.



















No comments: