Thursday, July 22, 2010

Big oil

I try to maintain a political-free zone here at our family website. In fact, I try to steer clear of any topic that could be potentially controversial. (For example, I tend to leave the politically themed books we read off the reading list, and I avoid commenting on gaffes and current events, no matter how tempting.) Skip enjoys a good political discussion, but I tend to hold my political cards closer to my chest.

The oil spill has probably been at the top of most American minds and especially those closer to the region. Talking about the spill has replaced discussing the weather. Just this week, an individual who was performing a repair here at our home calmly asked, "Hey... aren't you glad they capped it?"

Three or four (surely not five?) minutes later, when I realized my tirade was in full swing and, in fact, gaining momentum, it occurred to me that the question was merely conversational filler and not an invitation for me to launch into a "Meet the Press" meets Julia Sugarbaker-type response. I could imagine him looking at his helper, willing him not to ask anything further. Please, whatever you do, no follow up questions.

The below video clip is, therefore, timely, and I understand the anger the panelists reference. Every time this topic comes up in personal conversations, I find myself saying, "I can't talk about it... it just makes me so angry." Or, I lapse into the aforementioned tirade. I am always hoping for the former, but occasionally the latter happens.

Updated: I am linking to the video here instead of imbedding because I find the auto start feature offputting. Also, I apologize in advance for the advertising. They normally have the most innocuous Target ads, targeted (sorry) to moms; not sure what the new ads are about.

No comments: