Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Consumer Complaints

While I am busily sorting through last week's photos, I thought I would share something with you -- something I stumbled upon yesterday in Skip's office. 


By way of back story, illness plagued our family over the summer.  Skip returned home from a business trip with some type of infection (approaching walking pneumonia); Lauren developed a cough for approximately eight weeks; Gracie had strep; finally, my mom had a super bug that ultimately required rhinoplasty* to drain her infected sinuses.  At the start of our illness cycle, Skip agreed to seek medical treatment at a local doc-in-the-box type facility. 

Skip was the first patient to arrive at 8:00am when the doors opened, but still had to wait approximately 25 minutes for the physician to arrive.  When he finally pressed office staff on the wait time (because he was the only patient there), they explained that the physician had taken his children to school (presumably a summer program?) and would arrive in a few minutes.  Upon arrival, Skip was called back and met with the physician for literally five minutes (during which time the tardiness was discussed). 

While recounting this scenario to me later at home, we pondered what type of premium would be placed on those precious five minutes.  We received our answer this week, and I found Skip's responsive correspondence last night. 


October 8, 2012


Ubiquitous Urgent Care Facility**
Attention: Dr. John Smith
Dept XYZ 2
P. O. Box 12345
Everywhere USA  12345-6789


RE:  Account Number: 1234
        Patient ID: 5678


Dear Dr. Smith:

On June 15, 2012, I visited the Ubiquitous Urgent Care facility and had a work-up for
acute bronchitis and a brief visit with Dr. Smith (no more than 5 minutes with the
physician). Many of the measures taken were helpful, and the visit was appreciated.
Over the last couple of days, I received a bill for this item, and I want to ask that the
amount you are requesting (an additional $161.13) – in addition to the $25.00 copay I
have submitted, and the $193.37 my insurer has submitted – be reconsidered.
Simply, I think asking for an additional $161.63 is unwarranted, too much, and should be
reduced.


In other words, you’ve received $218.37 for taking what was a look at a throat and sinus
problem. Is another $161.13 really justified? Do you really believe that $318.00 is a fair
overall price for the services rendered?


Obviously, I do not. I think what you’ve received is sufficient. Please review this matter
and let me know your thoughts. While you do, please notate your system that I consider
this matter in dispute, and please do not send me repeated bills marked past due while we
discuss.


With Best Regards,


Ralph Lindsey
9876 Main Street
Anywhere USA  11111
123.456.7899

*Apologies for just now mentioning this procedure and her subsequent recuperation at our home.  However, she declined my offers to 1) photograph the pre-op numbing procedure and 2) update her social media statuses. 

**All identifying information has been changed.  Obviously.

No comments: