Friday, February 22, 2013

The Oscars

As we head into Oscar weekend, I am pulling for "Lincoln" in all categories.  I also like "Argo" and "Les Miserables," but my heart is with Lincoln and Daniel Day-Lewis. 

Daniel Day-Lewis recently commented on portraying Abraham Lincoln to W magazine.

I miss playing Lincoln.  Very much.  I miss the proximity to his character. There was a time in my life when it wasn't clear whether or not I would amount to anything.  I was fearful about my future. In England, people were hell-bent on certifying me--to them, the way I work as an actor is the system of someone who is unhinged. As a young man, when I saw the early movies by Scorsese, I saw a way to be, a kind of liberation. In those movies, America seemed like a place of infinite opportunities.  In Lincoln, we tried to show that sense of grand democratic possibility. We created a world I didn't want to leave.

For those who may prefer the red carpet, please check out The Red Carpet Project via NYTimes.com for a fun retrospective of 15 years of red carpet history. 
 
Do you watch the Academy Awards? Do you simply glimpse the entrances on the red carpet, or do you stay tuned until the bitter end?  Who are your favorites this year? 

No comments: