Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Trapunto

Let's talk clothes, shall we?

I still have a closet full of work clothes.  When I bowed out of the workforce (I usually joke and say I retired!), I quickly realized my closet was lacking in the casual, every day department.  I had always worked, and every single purchase was geared to wear to the office where I spent most of my time.  Luckily, the vast majority of my wardrobe is more business casual, as most southern cities (and my former employers) skew more toward casual attire with the slight exception of a section of suits that have not been worn since the day I stopped going to meetings.  I don't miss them.  The shoulders of the suit jackets are dusty, but the majority of the clothes are fine for every day.  Still, unless I am wearing yoga pants, people often ask, "Why are you so dressed up?"

Now, I am hardly ever "dressed up," but I do get "dressed" about 65% of the time.  The rest of the time, I am comfortably wearing yoga pants and fleece or, as in today's case, my Alabama Crimson Tide "back to back" championship sweatshirt. (Can I get a Roll Tide?) Incorporating the winter items into a more casual look is harder, but the spring/summer transition has been easy.  My secret weapon?  Pair casual sandals or flip flops with dresses and skirts.  That tiny change takes the outfit from the workplace to a completely casual look.

And that brings me to the Trapunto dress from Target.  Target distributes this dress each year in different colors.  I have prior versions of this dress in about seven different colors.  When I first purchased this dress several seasons ago, I loved it.  LOVED. When I realized the dress was available the next year, I purchased a few more, and was over the moon to discover the new version had pockets (no more dropping my iPhone! a place for my lipstick!).  POCKETS!  In subsequent years, the pockets were nixed, and although I wasn't happy with the decision, I purchased more dresses because they upgraded the fabric.

Purchasing a new Trapunto dress has become a spring ritual, and one has to shop early to get the best color selection.  Two years ago, I greedily waited for the dress to go on sale and was left with an unflattering green.  Imagine my disappointment to discover that this year's version is...... (wait for it).... sleeveless.

Sleeveless.  I could write a thousand words on how wrong that is.  Instead, I will remind everyone that we live in the south... where the temps climb to two hundred degrees... and how there is no way to wear a simple cotton sweater over this dress without sweating profusely.  Does Target really think we are all sporting FLOTUS's arms?  Because... I know I am definitely not.






No comments: