Monday, May 4, 2015

Weekend Update

Happy Monday, friends! I hope your weekend was spectacular. Ours was a little on the busy side, and Skip and I both feel as if we have crawled our way into Monday. As an example of the level of fatigue, some of the below Instagram photos from the weekend were duplicates, and it took me a while this morning to scroll through them and locate the dupes. The synapses are not firing very efficiently today, even with a few cups of green tea. Continue reading at your own risk, please, as this weekend was a tornado of kid-related activities.

Lauren and Grace had "May Day" at their school Friday. This was a fun-filled, all day event, coordinated by their (always awesome) phys ed teacher. She had set up eight stations, many of them involving water, for each grade to work through, and they spent the morning laughing, running, playing and running all sorts of relay races and obstacle courses. After the games concluded (11-ish) and the courses were all cleared, we had a picnic lunch in the courtyard. The afternoon activities included snow cones and tattoos, a visit from the Chick-Fil-A cow, some time on the playground and a movie. At the end of the day, they were exhausted, and I was a little tired, too.

William George was tasked with staying later at school. When I prepped him for that eventuality earlier in the week, he said, "I don't like it, but I'll do it."











Next, we had a softball game Friday night. Although the trio were pretty wiped out, they rallied and were able to make it through the evening. Lauren batted well, and Gracie got three people out at third base.





First thing Saturday morning, I had an appointment at our local Jack's restaurant to sell candy bars as a PTA project. I don't have the bandwidth today to get into the back story, but I will say that my alarm went off at 6:30am Saturday morning, and I stood on the sidewalk next to the drive-thru from 7:30am until 9:45am, when I was relieved to attend the duo's next game at 10:30am. When the alarm chimed, my mind performed some calculations about which possessions I would be willing to part with in lieu of candy bar sales (e.g., Skip's iPhone 5, damaged gold jewelry, etc.). (Oh, I kid... not really... no, just kidding.)

At Saturday's game, the duo had recovered and were back at full strength, although George was pretty wild at that point. He has always had a delayed reaction whenever he has a tiring schedule, and he amused himself during the game by having a snack flight of Doritos, M&M's and a ring pop. Apparently, the cheesy Doritos residue, melted chocolate and sticky sucker had created the perfect adhesive for dug out dirt.When he left the dug out after the game, he was covered from head to toe in dirt. He was not at his most composed. The girls played fine, and Gracie broke an unfortunate batting streak by getting on base.

Skip had had to referee two games in addition to coaching the Friday and Saturday games. When we were both about to drop, the grandparents swooped in by taking the trio for the afternoon. We rested for a couple of hours and then joined them for dinner. I may have had two glasses of wine.

We went to church, as usual, on Sunday. Afterward, we took the car to the car wash for a much needed scrub and a vacuuming of all the ball park dust in the interior. We had received some upsetting news Friday, in between May Day and the girls' game... my sister-in-law's father had passed away after struggling with COPD for years. I was honored to attend his life celebration Sunday afternoon, where we celebrated a life well lived and his ultimate healing. While I was celebrating our dear friend, Skip took the trio to meet the rest of the softball team for photos.  This weekend was softball-intensive, and we were glad to see the weekend come to a close. Weekends like these are when younger parents have an advantage, but we will recover and be ready again by Friday.

No comments: