Friday, August 16, 2013

Thrift Store Finds

Today Kelly is discussing favorite thrift store finds, and this is one of my favorite topics.  Unfortunately, my city isn't renowned for its thrift stores, but that makes the occasional discovery all the more exciting.   

Every now and then a miracle will occur in our local thrift shops.  Once I was walking around the furniture area (let me pause to say I had, up until this particular day, never seen anything interesting in the furniture area) when I saw a desk -- an antique drafting table.  The desk was similar to the below:


The desk was very large and exceptionally heavy, and I purchased it on the spot.  There were a couple of problems.  First, the desk had been painted.  Second, the table no longer adjusted, and it was merely a level desktop.  The latter issue was fine with me, but would be problematic whenever moving the desk. Those issues were minor quirks to be expected with a thrift store purchase.  A larger issue is that this desk required a large work area that we simply do not have.  Reluctantly, I donated the desk back to the thrift store a couple of years ago.  We contemplated putting casters on the legs and using the desk in the basement, but ultimately decided to let it go, making it both my favorite find and the one that got away.  Even though this piece didn't work for us, I miss it. 

Do you ever thrift shop? What is your all-time favorite find? 

1 comment:

Bamawhitney said...

I would have went with casters and used as a kitchen island, painted out white and distressd. Fabulous find. I too have those that got away...