Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Product Review: LuMee



Remember the photo from this post? After looking at the poor quality of the photo, Skip suggested I get a LuMee, the front-lit smartphone case utilized by Kim Kardashian. If you are squeamish about following the advice of a Kardashian (normally I wouldn't, but what better resource for selfie mastery?) LuMee also made Oprah's 2015 list of favorite things.

While I am not really big on taking selfies, if/when one is taken, I would prefer that it be a good photo, and I'm trying to get better about selfie's because it is a quick and easy way to be photographed with the children. (I still prefer to be behind the camera.) My photography skills are in the moderate, amateur range, but there are two rules I live by: 1) chase the light and 2) get a good, sharp focus on the eyes, and most everything else falls into place.  Obviously, there are myriad additional rules, some of which I follow, and most of which I have not yet learned.

Light should be simple to capture, but the inferior flashes on phones and the complete lack of flash/lighting with the front camera makes it challenging. Smartphone makers are improving their cameras constantly, but there is still a long way to go. Apple, although lagging in the past, is finally catching up with the improvements with the 6 and 6s, but a boost is still often needed, especially indoors. I was interested in the LuMee, specifically, to try to squeeze better photos out of my iPhone 5, with its f-stop of 2.4. (By comparison, good portrait lenses usually are in the 1.4/f range. The lower the f-stop, the less light is required for good portraits. A low f-stop + good lighting? You'll have an amazing photo.)  

When researching the LuMee, I did balk at the price point ($49.95 - $59.95) and decided not to order. A fun fact about Skip is that if he is purchasing something, he wants you to get something as well. It's endearing and generous, but I usually say no, because I pick up things all the time whereas he rarely does.  Any rate, I had dismissed the LuMee, but Skip ordered it when he was purchasing a couple of new accessories for his phone (the uhh, Blackberry Passport. #ahem). Long story short, the LuMee arrived on Saturday, just in time to try it out within the dark and cavernous atmosphere of the Alabama Theatre.  

The duo were fascinated by the lights, and they immediately wanted to try it out. Lauren's selfie is at the top of this post. Here is another research shot: 




When Lauren told Gracie about the new case, Gracie wanted a turn, too, and they wanted an explanation of what the case actually does. To demonstrate, we did a before/after comparison. Again, the photos are taken with an iPhone 5 in poor lighting. The below photos are taken in the basement, and Gracie is sitting a car that is dark except for the poor interior light.


Without LuMee

With LuMee


We really put it to the test at the theatre. The LuMee gave a much needed boost to dressing room lighting.




In near pitch black situations, the LuMee provided ample light for photography. Added bonus, the lights will keep four-year-old boys amused for long spans of time.



And although I look a little taken aback in the below photo, doesn't Skip look handsome? Look at those pretty blue eyes!


One quibble, I don't love the front-lit case for FaceTime calls, although the creator cite's FaceTiming with his daughter as the impetus for creating this product. If you are using the LuMee during a FaceTime call, it is difficult to see the other party on your screen through the bright light. There is a dimming feature that helps, but for now I tend to think of the LuMee as a photography tool.  

Overall, it's worth the investment.  

All photos are unedited and unfiltered. 

Also, this is not an advertisement for LuMee, as they have no idea who I am.  


No comments: