Monday, October 31, 2011

Appliance sticker shock


I have spent some considerable time over the last three days shopping for appliances.  The impetus for our shopping is a leaky refrigerator.  We had a problem eight months ago with our refrigerator, and I arranged for a repair in February of 2011.  The exact same problem has returned.  During a "live chat" with the repair folks last Thursday, they verified that their repairs are only under warranty for 90 days.  Luckily for the live chat representative, I was simultaneously feeding William George a bottle, meaning that I only had one free hand with which to type, so s/he was spared the full brunt of my opinion about the 90 day warranty.  I could guarantee a repair with duct tape for 90 days -- seriously.  Ninety days is nothing. 

Having ventured into six stores and researched many options, I have concluded that there is an appliance bubble.  When the salesperson presented me with a refrigerator costing $3,200, I should have explained that we do not have an upcoming segment on MTV Cribs, thankyouverymuch.  And the mid-level model that costs $2,600?  It will need to double as a mode of transportation.  The expenses are simply beyond my comprehension, and the entire process was insulting.  Excessive, over the top options (e.g., appliances with stainless interior as well as exterior and refrigerators with touch screen computers) remind me of the spoof Apple ad... the one where a consumer is bemoaning the lack of design change with the iPhone 4S.  She says, "But how will they know I'm better than they are?" 

We are not looking for a Viking range or a Bertazzoni, and we can do without the stainless interior.  Today I will continue looking for reasonably priced appliances, and I am going to be more pointed with the sales staff.  I will be respectful; I will refrain from asking them if they are "high" when they quote prices.   However, I will remind them that there are starving children in the world, and they should be ashamed of these products.   

Wish me luck.

No comments: