Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Squirrel update

Thanks to everyone for the concern about our squirrels.  (Jo Anna, thanks for the tip about Critter Control. We may have to contact them.)  I was willing to live with them peaceably until they 1) damaged our home (again) and 2) tried to gain entry.  Honestly, if one of these bushy tailed rodents gets into my home, my slight grip on sanity may slip completely.  I can hardly stand the thought of them being in the basement, attic or alcoves, but, if they were to make it to the living area of our home, we would have to move. 

You will know when and if the unthinkable happens because you will hear me yell, "SQUIIIRRRRRRRELLLLLLLLL!!!!!!" Christmas Vacation-style.  You say you live in another town/city/state?  You will still hear me.

When we first viewed our home (six years ago almost to the day), we were struck by the prior owners' immaculate upkeep of the house.  They had made several aesthetic improvements, and their taste is/was impeccable.  Our only concern was when we found various stuffed and mounted animals in the basement.  There were the requisite deer, of course, and that is not considered unusual by local standards.  However, there was also a bobcat and several other animals.  I cannot remember what the other animals were; I have blocked it out.  A fox, perhaps?  For a year or so after we moved in, the basement gave me the willies.  Finally, I was able to repress seeing them.  They were so oddly out of place with the rest of the home that I willed myself to pretend they were never there.

Slowly, the gears of my mind have shifted and I remember now that one of the basement creatures was a stuffed squirrel that had been mounted onto a piece of a small log, as if it were simply scurrying through its natural habitat. 

It is as if this new generation of squirrels is seeking revenge. 

 

No comments: