Thursday, August 16, 2012

Back to School

Kindergarten starts next week so we have spent the last few weeks getting prepped and ready. First, we picked up backpacks, lunch boxes and pencil cases (see here). Next, we got the school supply list and struck out for Target.


Since we are still wearing summer clothes, we have only made a few back to school clothing purchases. We ordered a new pair of shoes, and we picked up a new outfit at Target last weekend. To add a little bling, we added some sparkly headbands. We may make some fall/winter additions when we put away our summer clothes, but I don't anticipate that we will need much.

We tend to make a big deal about starting school, but really we are old pros. The girls began preschool when they were almost three, and therefore, we have had the basic routine down for a while.

There are a few differences, and I looked online for guidance. Our supply list was basic -- really bare bones -- so I was unsure about what supplies we needed to have on hand. Oddly, I was unable to find any online help. How could the Internet fail me? What do I put in their backpacks? Admittedly, I tend to be of the boy/girl scout always-be-prepared mentality, and I could be completely over thinking this.

But...

Here is the list of our backpack contents:

1) pencils - 3
2) pen - 1
3) Chapstick
4) lip gloss
5) Germ-x
6) lotion
7) Ziplock bag containing five wipes
8) Hello Kitty folder
9) denim jacket
10) pencil case (Gracie called these their wallets, so...) containing four $1 bills and four quarters.
11) lunch box

All other school supplies (e.g., notebooks, crayons) will be delivered to school for use.


Shouldn't there be more? What did you pack?

Or, if you were sending two kindergartners to school, what would you pack?

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Well for my kindergartner we are taking a minimal approach. We would not do well at all having access to lip gloss and lotion but, everything else seems really good! Only thing I would add would be a purse size pack of kleenex. Other than that I think they are completely prepared!

Callie has finally decided she is excited about school...Praise the Lord!!!



The Lindsey Family said...

Ok. If you say less is more, I will take your word for it.

So glad Callie is getting into things! I always think the ones who are skeptical about school are usually the wisest, and I know Callie has had her moments of thinking school might not be the best thing ever. Glad to hear she is getting ready for the big day!