Monday, April 29, 2013

Enumerated Update


We are having some awesome spring weekends, complete with softball games and winding-down-the-school-year activities.  Here's where we are:

1) Escapee: William George likes to be with his nuclear family at all times.  Therefore, on Sunday mornings when he is dropped off in his nursery class, he is not altogether happy about it.  Skip took the girls to their class yesterday while I took George to his class.  We said our goodbyes, and I left.  When I was almost to the end of the hallway, I heard a couple of people shout, "George! GEORGE!!!"  When I turned, I saw William George, who had escaped, running down the hallway - head back, arms pumping - as fast as he could.  When I picked him up, he truly thought he was home free... until I deposited him in his class again.  :( 

2) Mommy as an adjective: Last week there was a bit of an uproar when the WSJ published an article about Mom 2.0, and cast the conference in a less than flattering light, effectively dismissing "mompreneuers" (otherwise known as small business owners).  Emmy-winning writer and Mom 2.0 co-founder Laura Mayes struck back, first with correspondence to the WSJ and then with an article addressing the dismissive nature of using "mommy" as an adjective. 

3) Softball: We went to see Alexandria's, my niece, softball game Friday night.  Have you seen high school softball lately?  Those girls do not play around.  Maybe our frame of reference has shifted since we have been watching t-ball, but we were surprised by the level of play.  More on our fun night later. 

4) Lingo: A few weeks ago I mentioned the humor I find in business buzz words and have another one for you.  Have you been to meetings attended by individuals who contribute nothing and for whom the purpose of his/her presence is unclear?  "Room meat" is the term to describe the extra bodies in the room. 

Example:
"Is the guy in blue the project manager?"
"No. Mark's the project manager, and he was at my right. I didn't catch the blue shirt's name...  probably just room meat."

5) Zinsser: William Zinsser's latest endeavor, writing coach turned listener, is fascinating.  When his vision failed, he invited friends and former clients to bring him projects, concluding with:

"I'm eager to hear from you. No project too weird."

Such an awesome and irresistible invitation, and I'm quite sure he has more work than he can manage.

And that's it for us? What is happening with you?

No comments: